Monday, August 6, 2007

First Blog

Well, parting from the definition of blog (weblog) and responding to the call to maintain one, I attempting to keep this “journal” not just as a compilation of “final products of my cognitive process”, but as the process itself; the cognitive process that might lead me to that final product, the stream of ideas and conjunction of thoughts (regardless how stupid, intelligent, simple, profound or irrelevant or transcendental it might be!!!) as well as the final product of this process. In lieu of this:
After reading the studio expectations, the initial phase or the project (antecedents???) and other general instructions, I found myself in the “need” to know what it is that we are going to be doing exactly ( I cannot figure it out). This might be a simple connection of dots for others, but now for me! At this stage, my mind is still going thousands of revs a minute trying to “anticipate”: “I think It could be”, “what the product is going to look like” , “how ….…….
Sometimes my older boy (Alex) is so excited about something, he anticipates so much that he gets too nervous and anxious (not focused and attentive to the process an other factors); does not want to take the time to think about it, to be calm….. he want it now! I try to explain it “clear and calm” and sometimes he pretends he understands, having no clue what so ever, just so he can get what he wants…….
Now I don't want to place my self in "that last stage", pretend I understand it all …. "Oh …yeah! Apple store……Boston…… mapping……two dimensions……yeah!!!! (With the big chunk of uncertainty, the feeling of not knowing what is what is going on!).
All this said, because even though I think I understand the preliminary concepts about mapping and the other of a store that represents this timeless state of being……. even though I can connect them in a thousands ways with as many results, I still have not the certainty of clearly knowing were I should be heading …….even more basic: not knowing what I am suppose to do! ….. (and then i think am I trying to hard to drown myself in a cup of water??!!!)
Gus

4 comments:

Rick E said...

Gus:

I share your sentiments regarding the concept of mapping time and space. I look forward to seeing if others in the class are struggling with the expectations for this assignment and with the form which the final product will take.

- Rick Eskelund

Jaclyn said...

I share this concern as well. I don't know if it is that I am a bit nervous about the semester and my mind is swirling with ideas, fears, anticipation, etc. or if it is something else that is not connecting for me. I am starting with the links on the main page and researching the process but the graphic product still seems so far away for me. I am hoping that today will bring me some insight as I continue to search for the answers to your questions of what are we supposed to do and what will the final product be.

Eddie Alvarado said...

Gus,

LOL! your opening post is very real. My first impression of the assignment was WHAT? I had to put the document down and see if it will adjust itself just as a few years ago I received a minuscule Christmas Bonus and put it down to see if it would grow. As I read thru the required tasks I was trying to find inspiration and meaning to the task. I remember while pursuing my undergrad in Architecture that one of my professors said, Architecture does not need to be literal. I then read "Learning from Las Vegas" and a lot was cleared. I'll tell you I am not a fan of Venturi and Scott Brown, but the work they did on the Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery in London, was very poetic for me. Especially the main entry. This brought back hope to me. Anyway, my point is, I thought for this task I should divert from being literal and see Mapping not as dots, but as a sequence of events that don't connect, but lead to one another.

Gus G.-Angulo said...

Rick,Jaclyn and Eddie:
Thanks for the support! (I'm not alone!!!!!.... I'm not.....alone!!!)
I will be commenting to you soon!
Gus