Sunday, September 2, 2007

I am getting very interested in the new "definition" of my project : gathering / gatherer, and is helping in defining / clarifying some “gray” zones I had before. (Working on new ideas /approaches and polishing / modifying old ones)





Definitions of gathering:
a group of persons together in one place
assembly: the social act of assembling
gather: the act of gathering something




Definitions of assemble:
create by putting components or members together; "She pieced a quilt"; "He tacked together some verses"; "They set up a committee"
meet: collect in one place; "We assembled in the church basement"; "Let's gather in the dining room"
get people together; "assemble your colleagues"; "get together all those who are interested in the project"; "gather the close family members" wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn





Definitions of gatherer:
a person who gathers; "they were a society of hunters and gatherers"
collector: a person who is employed to collect payments (as for rent or taxes) wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

2 comments:

Amr Raafat said...

Hello Gus,
Because of your deep study of gathering in architecture,

I would like to focus on the last Image you post of the Boston Marathon! what an amazing thing you thought about!!!!! Are you sure you are not Bostonian?? -)
I wonder to what extend your building, stage, bridge (place to gather) could be a participant element in the Boston Marathon! before and after the marathon, not just in April!

How it could put an unforgettable signature in the minds of more than 500,000 person live in the marathon site and every Bostonian!
in addition to visitors!

I would like to remind you with something:

"The CITGO sign has held a place deep in the hearts of Boston residents.
CITGO decided to dismantle the deteriorating sign in 1983, but the people of Boston came to its rescue. Claiming the sign was an excellent example of urban neon art, and as Boston as baked beans, they stopped the demolition crew. Groups fought to have the sign declared a landmark." http://www.citgo.com/AboutCITGO/BostonSign.jsp

The CITGO sign became a landmark!!

I wonder How could your (very Bostonian Building of the Marathon, gathering Bostonians) hold a place in deep in their hearts??,

Breifly how could you help APPLE, INC to hold that place in Bostonian's Hearts as CITGO did, or may be more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amr

Gus G.-Angulo said...

Amr,
As I told you, when I had the “duck tour” while I was in Boston, (maybe just because I was enjoying the ride!!!) but my mind really adopted the idea of the marathon; this not as a romantic approach, but as a dynamic evolution. When Alex gave us the talk about the history of Copley square, there were so many interesting ideas and very interesting factors that I thought were very important, but it was not until I heard about the Boston Marathon, that just like a ray of light, I realize how dynamic historically this place is and the enormous potential that this offer for a project like the one we are doing; the potential to do something creasy and unique and have all the justification for doing it! It really can become a one in a kind project just because the context in which is set.
I really liked the story of the CITGO, I think that is really when character might be within the architectural element and therefore transcend time, fashions and personal preferences!! I guess this is the “selfish” dream of every architect: contribute with an architectural object that might transcend on time!
Gus