Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mapping – time / space /relationships
I am really having a good time with this exercise (very interesting!) but time wise is not "cooperating" (time is just “killing me!!)- I am looking forward to be in Boston so I can get me 8 hrs of sleep!!!!!!!!)
I am using my Mom to define and give a generic approach to the exercise (I feel that if I can explain something to my Mom, it can be used for anyone!....even if they do not speak English!!!) My exercise, as you will see is directed as well to emphasize the concept that mapping is one that pushes you to make choices. Map is a “path” of subsequent decisions and choices!!!!! Mapping many times will not tell you were to go or where are you going, but will tell you were NOT to go and where NOT go!!
I have conceptualized this exercise as a group of layers (from where I am developing my new concept of 3 dimension and spatial - time – relationships.
So from my previous exercise I find some “variants” of the initial concept of mapping that I had. The first one is what I call Mapping (but what really is a diagram!!!!)







My second one is what we all are so use to in our profession: a critical path! what I consider is indispensable to follow / have in order to get to a final product: in this case an “Apple – i pod - i Shuffle.







My 3rd approach is what I call the instructional layer; one that in concept I could red to my Mom and lead her to her final destination.












Finally I have the one in with I “sandwich” all my previous layers before they were “dissected” in separate ones, to see what was the relationships were created (another reason now I am thinking in 3D - the same way a sponge is structured-).
All this is somewhat to express my idea of mapping (an somehow to show why is that I am not too convened when Ted suggested that mapping “was a two dimensional object – concept”. I just think that mapping (getting out of my original box that was “framing” it as a pure geographical object concept) posses more qualities and can express so much more (time, space, relationships, etc!)






Now I am working on o 3D one (conceptual that has evolved form all this, and I am adding the concept of place and space with the “species” form Ohio and the region of Columbus .
Hopefully I will have something by tomorrow night!
Gus

2 comments:

bac dmarch said...

Gus,

Your beginning speaks of an uncommon level of honesty. Explaining technology and how to go about getting it to an older generation is fundamental to the exercise. Social barriers are built aroud technology and have only increased with new personalization of products. If you asked your mom how to get to a store in a village unfamiliar to you, she would likley raise all sots of social landmarks like, the corner clock, or a popular shop nearby. We still do this to a degree, but mapquest, google maps and related "advances" force us to look at the lense of our iPhones and not at the streets we are traveling. I almost made this exercise one in describing the smells one experiences between their homes and the local bakeries to see if people still use senses more than just their eyes.

Your diagrams are started with an image in the background, which seems to be fading away in the latest three. In your case the image was giving us something as it hovered bewteen mysterious (due to being new) and familiar (due to good advertising). The graphic in the background made up for a loss of graphic in your diagram. Is it possible to transmit your three layers over time? Is it possible to use a variant of the iPhones pinch method to allow your gant charts to breath a little more? Maybe linking the original iPhone icons with your text boxes is a start. Since we really can't present these things in real time, what methods can be used to illustrate the passing of time? In a movie it is a fade out from dark to light to indicate morning. Or, more discretely, and hand placing a wine glass, fade out, and a hand lifting a coffee cup. These are signs and symbols directors use to inform the audience that time has passed and we should expect a new scene. What signs do you have at your discposal? An image of an apple macintosh 2 contrasted with an image of the iPhone would speak about 30 years of transference. An image of President Carter superimposed with an image of President Bush speask about the time change from inception to current day and makes us ask what happened in that 30 years? (The company, incorporated January 3, 1977,[3] was known as "Apple Computer, Inc." for its first 30 years. On January 9, 2007, the company dropped "Computer" from its corporate name to reflect that Apple, once best known for its computer products, now offers a broader array of consumer electronics products).

So, a bit to think about - and don't plan on sleeping in Boston...

Eddie Alvarado said...

Gus,

Just recently I bought a book for a bit of "Me" time. The book is called "Change Design - Conversations about Architecture as the ultimate business tool". You are probably wondering the same thing I wonder when I heard the title...this book is about turning Architecture into a money making machine! But no, the book is about how NBBJ is thinking about the fourth dimension. How they should empower people or consumers to create life in spaces. Upon quickly browsing the book I ran into one of the essays where they explain the design process for Boeing's Assembly factory. This factory is to hold offices for their engineers, mechanics, support personnel, etc. The book has a quote "Boeing's commitment to continuous improvement in assembly processes means the workplace environment has to enable groups to reassemble as processes evolve". Your mapping experience reminded me of an organized assembly line, where I-robot tells you where to go and where not to go. How do you reassemble? Does life turn on when you turn the object on or do you both?